When considering a fence project for your property, avoid stumbling over re-work or fines levied for overlooking city by-laws. Jay Fencing is your expert advisor on planning and installing by-law compliant perimeters.
Guelph By-Laws Resources Relating to Fencing
Once your fencing or pool project is complete, the last thing you want is to be served a notice of by-law infraction. This may lead a property owner to have to pay for additional materials and labour to comply with city by-laws. Unfinished fencing projects can also be an eyesore in neighborhoods or commercial centres. The following links are to key by-law related documents:
Getting Started with Fences for Pools & Hot Tubs
A permit is required for fencing projects which serve as a perimeter for pools or hot tubs for the purposes of swimming, diving, or bathing, and which the depth at any point can exceed 600mm (23 1/2 inches).
- Complete permit application and submit fee
- Submit a copy of the lot Survey (to scale) showing the location, shape, and size of the proposed pool.
- Indicate pool fence and gate locations.
- Indicate the distance from the edge of the pool to all property lines.
- Sketch on the survey all accessory structures (decks, sheds, garages) with dimensions.
- Submit pool specs (from pool contractor) –actual square footage of water
Summary for Fences on Properties with Pool or Hot Tub
There are many factors to be aware of when considering what by-laws must be met when building a fence for a pool. Owners are to ensure the fence surrounding a swimming pool or hot tub meets the following requirements:
- Is located minimum .5 metres (1’8”) away from any other fence or permanent object that may help climb the fence around the pool
- is erected and maintained in a structurally sound condition so as to prevent access to the swimming pool or hot tub when not in use
- Have a maximum opening of .1 metre (4”) between the bottom of the fence and the ground at any point directly below the fence
- Has no barbed wire or electric current through any portion of the fence
These gate requirements are also in place when they serve to secure a pool or hot tub.
- Gates must have self-closing and self-latching mechanisms and be maintained in proper working order at all times
- Every self-latching device is installed on the swimming pool side of each gate near the top of the gate and such device is at least 1.2 metres (3’11”) above ground level
- Every gate is locked at all times when the swimming pool or pool area is not being used
See here for additional details for by-law compliance. When planning for a fencing project or pool the city of Guelph may be contacted ( Building Services – 519-837-5615) to support by-law compliance.
Summary for Residential Fences
Permits are not required for fences that do not enclose a pool or hot tub. Here are a number of key items that should be satisfied when planning for a fence, based on a guide provided by the City of Guelph.
- Fence Styles – Fence styles are not regulated when enclosure does not contain a pool or hot tub
- Drainage – fences should not obstruct, alter, or prevent flow of water drainage
- Avoid Damage to City Infrastructure – Before digging, confirm that you will not damage city utilities such as gas, electrical, telephone, and cable. Contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 or www.on1call.com before digging.
Overview of Fence Restrictions for Residential Zones
Fencing restrictions for residential properties are divided into 4 scenarios. Additional or alternative regulations may be in effect as Guelph also has specific by-law zoning requirements. See here to determine which zoning by-law you are to adhere to. The guidelines provided here are not substitutes for the city of Guelph’s by-laws. For full details see General Provisions by-law.
- Maximum fence height: 0.8 metres (2 feet, 7 inches)
- Maximum fence height: 1.9 metres (6 feet, 2 inches)
- Maximum fence height in rear yard: 2.5 metres (8 feet, 2 inches)
- Maximum fence height in exterior side yard: 2.5 metres (8 feet, 2 inches) – in regards to the longest street frontage on a corner lot from the midpoint of the house to the rear property line
- Minimum distance from property/street line: 4 metres (13 feet, 1 inch)
- Maximum fence height: 0.8 metres (2 feet, 7 inches) above the traveled portion of abutting streets
The information in this article is offered as a guideline. Planners of fencing projects are encouraged to refer to the resources above for full details of pool and fencing by-laws.
Overview of Fence Restrictions for Commercial Zones
For fencing planning on projects that are located on commercial, park, urban reserve or institution zones, the following regulations are to be adhered to.
- Maximum height of front, side, or exterior side yard: 1.6 metres in height
- Minimum distance from street line: 4 metres for fences on the front, side, or exterior side yard.
- Unless the height of the fence is less than 0.8 metres
- Maximum height of rear yard: 1.8 metres (see by-law 4.20.4.i for exceptions)
- Additional rules apply for Industrial or Aggregate Extraction Zones within the General Provisions by-law.
Jay Fencing Frees You from Dealing with By-Laws
Having worked with clients on properties of all shapes and sizes, we have the deep understanding and practical know-how to ensure great looking fences that meet by-laws in Guelph. If you have had a fence on your property for a number of years and are not certain if you meet city by-law, let Jay Fencing help you determine compliance. Here is what others have said about Jay Fencing:
The best way to determine which fencing option is for you is to reach out to Jay Fencing Ltd. Let Jay Fencing deal with the fine print and by-laws while you focus on your business and family, all at the very best value. With Jay Fencing you can expect these services every time we serve you:
- Careful consideration to community requirements
- Personal and property security
- Protected play for children and pets
- Over 28 years of experience delivering quality service to our clients
We service customers everywhere from Stratford to Brantford, Mississauga to Fergus, and everywhere in between. Book a consultation today and Jay Fencing can help you pick the right perimeter for your property.
Note: For alignment with specific municipal conventions the spelling of by-law or by-law may be used.