Choosing your Fence Boards – The Ultimate Guide
Ready to get a new fence installed? Uncertain what type of fence boards are best for you? Jay Fencing’s ultimate guide will show you how to choose the best fence boards. First, you’ll need to decide what you want your fence to be used for. Then, we’ll help you decide if wood or vinyl boards are best for you, and what style of fence suits your needs! This ultimate guide will give you all the information necessary to pick your perfect fence.
Your Fence’s Purpose
First, it’s important to briefly determine what the purpose of your new fence is. Will it be a decorative fence? Will it be a privacy fence? Picking the perfect fence boards will depend on the fence’s purpose.
For example, if you want a privacy fence, you may choose to go with the board-on-board style. This style places the fence boards very close together, limiting the ability to peer through the slats.
Fence Board Material
$ – $$$
Wood fences are the most common fence type. Wood fences can be crafted in many different ways and styles to create custom, unique fences. When made by a reputable company, they are sturdy and resistant to the elements. There are also many different types of wood to choose from, all with their own pros and cons. Some popular choices include:
- Pressure Treated Pine $ – A practical, well-priced option. Chemically treated to resist rot, insects, and moisture.
- Cedar $$–$$$ – Beautiful and naturally resistant to rot, insects, and moisture. Always a great choice for fence boards.
- Redwood $$$ – Naturally resistant to rot, insects, and moisture. Comes in a beautiful red colour, prized for both its aesthetics and strength.
Wood fences are not without their drawbacks, however. Even naturally rot and insect resistant wood will need some level of maintenance, especially after years of harsh weather. The more resistant the wood, the more expensive it tends to be. Wood fences also attract termites. This can actually put your entire property, including your home, at risk. Wood fences must be properly installed or they will warp and bend, eventually needing to be replaced all together.
Vinyl fence boards look almost identical to wooden fence boards. They also come in a variety of styles; many of these styles are identical to their wooden counterparts. Some benefits to choosing vinyl fencing include:
- Durability – A durable product requiring very little maintenance.
- Customizable – Like wood fences, vinyl fences come in many styles and colours.
- Easy to Clean – Maintenance free indeed!
Though vinyl fences are easy to maintain and come in many attractive styles, they also have some downsides. The biggest difference between wood and vinyl is the price tag. Vinyl fences are often more expensive, and repair can be much more complicated. Vinyl is durable, but not as durable as most types of wood. Bending, warping, and even expanding can occur due to harsh weather or violent winds.
Fence Board Style
Once you’ve decided on the material, whether you choose from a variety of different wood types or vinyl, it’s time to pick your board style.
Each board style also comes with a host of both advantages and disadvantages, depending on what you’re looking for. There are many different board styles, but four of the most common include solid board, lattice top, board-on-board, and post and rail.
- Solid Board – A decorative and beautiful option. The top can be crafted in a variety of different ways to suit whatever your preference may be. The solid board style also allows privacy.
- Lattice Top – Lattice top is a very popular choice. It allows some air flow by breaking down strong winds into a gentler breeze. It also provides privacy while still allowing some vision beyond the boards.
- Board-on-Board – One of the top choices for privacy fences. It looks attractive from both sides of the fence and allows a breeze to come through between the boards.
- Post and Rail – With a classic, welcoming look, the post and rail style is definitely not a privacy fence. Often used as a decorative fence, though it can actually be customized with mesh to protect children or pets from getting out.
How To Get The Best Price
Looking to purchase new fence boards, no matter what the purpose may be, can be quite intimidating. Right now, there are tons of do-it-yourself (DIY) guides, books, and videos online showing you how to build and install your own fence from scratch. Some even say this is the most inexpensive option.
Though there are many experienced handymen out there, installing a fence and choosing the perfect fence boards can be a challenge for even the most capable Do-it-Yourselfer. Not knowing exactly what you’re doing when it comes to fence installation can end up costing you more and more with every little mistake you may make.
The best way to get the best price is by going with a reputable company. At Jay Fencing Ltd, you can feel confident that we will only recommend products or services that are best for you and your needs. This means you won’t be buying any unnecessary products or services that will make the price go up.
Getting the best price isn’t only about affordable costs. It’s also about quality work, so that you won’t have to spend more on upkeep or repairs down the road. We highly value having an experienced team and providing the highest quality service possible.